Would you like to have a say in the future of Alberta's digital infrastructure?
Cybera has launched an open call for applications to join its Board of Directors. Cybera is a not-for-profit agency that seeks to advance technology use in Alberta. It oversees the development of Alberta's cyberinfrastructure — the advanced system of networks and computers that support government, educational institutions, not-for-profits, business incubators and entrepreneurs.
Cybera is governed by an independent board of volunteer directors who meet four times a year. Directors bring a variety of skills and experience to the Board, and their backgrounds in the academic, institutional, private and public sectors ensure Cybera's programs and services anticipate and effectively address the evolving needs of these communities. Directors are elected for 1-3 year terms, and all serve on at least one standing committee of the Board.
Candidates for the Board position must be available to attend quarterly Board meetings held locally in Calgary, either in person or via telephone / videoconference. They must also be willing to dedicate a few hours per quarter to prepare for each meeting. Candidates should represent Cybera in the community and use their influence to help achieve the organization's long-term goals.
Potential Board candidates should possess some or all of the following qualifications:
- senior executive and/or administrative skills;
- experience with university or college research and development, strategic planning, and governance;
- experience working with researchers, educators, governments, agencies and funders;
- interest in, or knowledge of, digital infrastructure;
- experience in organizational governance in the non-profit, corporate, or broader public sectors;
- understanding of board-level accounting or legal affairs.
Cybera relies heavily on the commitment of its volunteer board members for:
- planning its future via the strategic plan;
- reviewing and approving new initiatives that set the direction for the organization;
- approving corporate policies and overseeing compliance; and
- setting the company's overall compensation strategy.
Interested individuals may apply for election by submitting their resumes to the Board Secretary by July 25th, 2014.
The Nominating Committee of the Board of Directors will review the applications. Selected candidate will be brought to the Cybera Board for approval before being submitted for election at the Annual General Meeting on September 24, 2014.
All individuals who submit an application will be notified of the outcome of the process after the final candidates have been approved by the Board, and before they are presented to the AGM for election.
More information on Cybera's current Board of Directors may be found here.